Monday, April 27, 2015

Meet em' Mondays ( The Burgess Family)

Welcome to another week of Meet em' Mondays.

This week I would like to introduce to you: The Burgess Family. 


Family Name: The Burgess Family

Ages of your children: Three girls ages 10, 7, 5 and one boy 3.

How long have you been homeschooling? We have been homeschooling for 2 years this September.

What state do you live in and is it a homeschool friendly state? We live in Georgia and it is very homeschool friendly. Hardly any worries :)

What is homeschool to you? "Homeschool to me is "life" long learning. My children get to learn and grow realistically and are given the chance to be themselves. I love that I don't have to stress so much about how they are being influenced."


What made you initially decide to start homeschooling? "When my second child was having such a difficult time adjusting to Kindergarten in public school, when my oldest daughter was having health issues and they were sick all the time! They were missing so many days of school. I was getting letters from the school saying they were missing too many days even though we had doctor notes. Once I pulled them out I started to learn so much more about all the benefits of having them home with me. I never realized there was such freedom with homeschooling. I didn't think I could do it. But here I am :) here we are."



 How do you choose your curriculum?  "We haven't chosen a particular curriculum. We use many different resources. We go to the library and learn what we want. Aside from the basics like math, reading and writing, we go where our hearts take us."




Do you stay with a schedule or are you more flexible? "Ahh, a schedule? I try as I might ,but we rarely stick to one. Every day is different. I do have a small list of things they have to do before they are aloud to watch tv or play on tablets."



How do you handle the family schedule? "As far as how I handle the schedule...I am not alone we all handle it together and work as a team. With chores, learning and fun time."



How do you make sure your child has regular interaction with peers? "I am going to be honest. My kids do not get enough interaction with peers. It is hard to find the time. They do have pen pals they write regularly as well as face time. I know that one day when they are older and make friends more easily, they will do great." 



In your view, what are the benefits to homeschooling your children? "The benefits of homeschooling my children are great. To start with the little importance's...we do not have to rush to get to a school, no worries about school shopping (clothes or otherwise), and we can learn day and night. The big importance's...I can teach and they can learn what I feel is best. No common core. I know personally what level/s my children are. When my oldest was in public school I was so confused about where and what she was learning. Math was her weakness and she wasn't getting help. I can now focus on that and she is doing great!"



What has been the most surprising part of homeschooling? "What has surprised me the most about homeschool is how easily and quick each of my children have learned. I also have been given the blessing of knowing and learning each of their personalities and interests."


No comments: